Music for/as Psychedelic Therapy with Mendel Kaelen
About this event
*This workshop will run across three weekly 90 minute sessions on Thursdays at 5:00pm GMT from the 17th-31st of March.*
The combined use of music and psychedelic substances is ancient and universal. Yet with the rise of psychedelic therapy in the West, many questions are emerging regarding the function of music and how to apply it effectively within this context.
This training – facilitated by Dr Mendel Kaelen – borrows inspiration and guidance from Wavepaths´ research and development efforts into the person-centred use of music in psychedelic therapy.
By participating in these workshops you will:
- Deepen your understanding of music in psychedelic therapy
- Be guided by Mendel through an introspective deep listening session
- Learn how to optimise therapeutic outcomes with music
- Connect with other therapists and practitioners around the world
Workshop 2 is an experiential component that requires:
- Your best headphones or external sound system
- An eye mask to support full immersion in the music
- A jumper or blanket to hand for warmth and comfort
Mendel Kaelen is the founder and CEO of Wavepaths, a startup providing music both for and as psychedelic therapy. Prior to this, he worked as a PhD and postdoctoral neuroscientist at Imperial College London since 2012, where his research was the first to demonstrate music’s central role in psychedelic therapies. He is a thought leader on the therapeutic use of music and publishes and speaks frequently on this topic.
Workshop 1: Theory (17th March)
The role and function of music in psychedelic therapy
- How do you define music?
- Music and psychedelics
- The functions of music in psychedelic therapy
Workshop 2: Experience (24th March)
- Wavepaths Deep Listening
- Introspective music listening: Deep Listening session
- Group discussion
Workshop 3: Application (31st March)
The person-centred use of music in psychedelic therapy
- Adaptation of music
- Working with resistance to the music
- Preparation for a psychedelic therapy therapy session using music
- Integration of a psychedelic therapy session using music
*Please note that this workshop will be recorded.